A historic building in downtown Sioux City is about to get another modern day use.
Developer Bart Connelly is planning to renovate the top floor of the Williges building into six condominiums.
The building was constructed in 1929 as a fur factory for German-born August Williges.
It later housed a popular women's clothing store until 1998.
Connelly came forward with plans to save the building. Shortly after that the Vriezelaar Law Firm leased the first floor.
The city has been urged to use more space in historic, downtown buildings for residential purposes.
The City Council has agreed to seek about $80,000 from the Iowa Economic Development Authority to help finance part of the $890,000 project.