MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

UPDATE: Galvan-Hernandez sentenced in Kubick murder case

UPDATE: Galvan-Hernandez sentenced in Kubick murder case

UPDATE:

One of the men accused of killing 41 year old Kraig Kubik in November of last year was sentenced in Dakota County district court.

19 year old Brayan Galvan-Hernandez plead no contest in October to the shooting and dismemberment of Kubic.

Today he learned how much time he will serve behind bars.

Brayan Galvan-Hernandez took a plea agreement that reduced his initial charge from first degree murder to second degree attempted murder.

In conjunction with that charge Galvan Hernandez also plead guilty to an accessory charge.

This afternoon District Judge Paul Vaughan sentenced Galvan Hernandez to a minimum of twenty five years, with the possibility of him serving up to sixty years in prison.

"First of all I want to say sorry to Kubik's family. And then I'm especially more sorry to Kubik's son. I didn't know Surber was going to kill him that night," said Galvan-Hernandez.

Two witnesses were called to testify before the judge, an ex-girlfriend and former teacher of Galvan Hernandez's, before the sentence was handed down.

Judge Vaughan said a lesser sentence than the one handed down could depreciate the seriousness of the crime or promote disrespect for the law.

The other man charged in the death of Kubik, 26 year old Andres Surber, is currently spending time in a treatment facility in order to restore his ability to stand trial.


PREVIOUS UPDATE: Brayan Galvan-Hernandez, 19, has been sentenced to 35-40 years in prison on the 2nd degree attempted murder charge and as an accessory to a felony he will serve 15-20 years.

Hernandez must serve at least 25 years.

Galvan-Hernandez entered a plea of no contest back in October to one count of Attempted Murder in the 2nd Degree and one count of Accessory to a Felony for his involvement in the November 1, 2016 murder of Kraig D. Kubik near Emerson, Nebraska.

Siouxland News was in the courtroom today and will have complete details on KMEG 14 at 5pm.


Previous Story:

Brayan Galvan-Hernandez, 18, entered pleas of no contest to one count of Attempted Murder in the 2nd Degree and one count of Accessory to a Felony for his involvement in the November 1, 2016 murder of Kraig D. Kubik near Emerson, Nebraska.

Kubik, 41, was shot in the back of the head and his dismembered body was found in a culvert in rural Cedar County four days after he was reported missing.

Galvan-Hernandez and Andres Surber were arrested shortly after Kubik's disappearance following the discovery of Kubik's severed right arm and leg in the trunk of a silver Chevy Impala registered to Surber. The vehicle was located on an abandoned farm in Dixon County that was owned by Surber's family.

In the investigation conducted jointly by the Nebraska State Patrol, Dakota County Sheriff's Office and Dixon County Sheriff's Office, law enforcement obtained surveillance video from Kubik's residence depicting both Galvan-Hernandez and Surber escorting Kubik from his residence and later dragging his apparently lifeless body across Kubik's front yard.

Video surveillance obtained from a Wakefield, Nebraska convenience store depicted Galvan-Hernandez driving the Chevy Impala later found to contain Kubik's severed arm and leg.

In exchange for Galvan-Hernandez's plea, the State agreed to reduce his original charge of First Degree Murder and dismiss two additional ancillary offenses.

Galvan-Hernandez is set to be sentenced on December 12, 2017 at 2:00 p.m. in the Dakota County District Court and faces a maximum possible sentence of 70 years' imprisonment.


Trending