Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: Is your home safe?


    If you need assistance installing a fire or carbon monoxide detector in your home call the Sioux City Fire Rescue for help.

    During the winter, there is a colorless odorless gas that can hit a home without warning and it could be fatal.

    It’s crucial for Siouxlanders to know the warning signs and safety measures to take to keep your home safe from carbon monoxide.

    Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas which is caused by gas appliances such as furnaces, pipes installed incorrectly, stoves, and even your vehicles.

    Lieutenant Jesse Pederson with the Sioux City Fire Rescue advises residents to go outdoors immediately if you or anyone is having symptoms or reactions from the gas.

    “It can cause death, some of the symptoms leading up to that would be flu-like symptoms or you can have a headache, nausea, vomiting, and some dizziness. That’s why it’s very important to have a carbon monoxide alarm so you can recognize that it’s just not a flu-like symptom but it’s an actually carbon monoxide problem,” said Lt. Jesse Pederson, Sioux City Fire Rescue.

    Carbon monoxide detectors can determine the severity of health effects caused by the amount of CO levels which with prolonged exposure can be life-threatening


    “You can be sleeping and not even know that you’re getting carbon monoxide poisoning so we highly recommend everybody to have carbon monoxide alarms in every level of their house. With the cold weather that we are getting right now the furnaces are working overtime and people are warming up their cars. Make sure when you do warm up your car, that you back it out of the garage to warm up your car,” said Pederson.

    Pederson also recommends homeowners to contact their furnace company to come out and inspect that its working properly.

    Your alarm can also be alerted due to low battery or malfunctions from the detector, in these conditions the alarm will not respond to carbon monoxide.

    If you need assistance installing a fire or carbon monoxide detector in your home call this number (712)-279-6377 or for more information click here.

    News In Photos

      Loading ...