Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Maquoketa Caves triple murder suspect shot, stabbed victims & acted alone, authorities say


Scene at Maquoketa Caves State Park where four people are dead, including the suspected gunman
Scene at Maquoketa Caves State Park where four people are dead, including the suspected gunman
Facebook Share IconTwitter Share IconEmail Share Icon

State investigators released the autopsies of the three victims and suspect in the Maquoketa Caves State Park triple murder last month.

The Iowa State Medical Examiner says Tyler Schmidt, the father of the Cedar Falls family killed on July 22, died from a gunshot wound and multiple stab wounds. His wife Sarah died from stab wounds while 6-year-old Lula died from a gunshot wound and strangulation.

The family had been camping at the Maquoketa Caves State Park at the time. The park was closed for some time but reopened last week.

The Des Moines Register reported earlier this week, that sources close to the investigation say suspect Anthony Sherwin used a 'ghost gun' in the killings.

Sherwin, 23 of LaVista, Nebraska, died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound and his death was ruled a suicide.

Iowa DCI says the evidence points to Sherwin being responsible for the three killings and that he acted alone.

No potential motive has been revealed yet and authorities say no other information in the deaths will be released.

The family's son, 9-year-old Arlo escaped during the attack and survived. A GoFundMe has raised more than a quarter of a million dollars.

A Celebration of Life was held Tuesday night in Cedar Falls.

Loading ...